Tuesday 3 July, 2007

3rd July 2007 SMT: GMT+10

Location: Fuck knows it ain't my watch.
Hmm been some time since I typed anything for the blog. Well since I last wrote we've retarded clocks by approximately 7 hours and advanced one day while crossing the date line. I hate night watches during retarding. When there's no traffic and you have to keep twenty minutes extra watch, time really drags. In addition, the visibility has been generally bad so you still have to keep a sharp lookout on the radar, just in case ..... Like I'd told y'all last time our route is changing. We'll be doing 3 ports in China, 1 in Korea and 2 in the States. Speaking of which, does anyone have Chicoo's phone no? He's in LA right? So anyway, now that the new route has been decided it's action time for the 2nd officer and the Chief Engineer. I've gotta figure out which extra charts and publications I need to order, plot the new courses and calculate the distances. I give a rough estimate of the distances to the Chief Engineer so that he can estimate how much bunkers the ship requires. Bunkers refers to the Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO) and Diesel Oil (MDO) that the ship uses. The charterers have told us that the bunkering port will be Pusan. So now he's got to work out the amount of bunkers we need until Pusan for the entire voyage. Once he's decided on the quantity of fuel to be ordered, the Chief Officer is going to be asking him which fuel oil tanks he'll be putting the oil in. This is because the Chief Officer needs to figure out the effect of loading these 2000 odd tons of oil on the stability, trim and draft of the ship. Ok children that's my marine engineering lesson for today. BTW does anybody reading this happen to know anyone at Standard Chartered? The freaks there have changed the internet ID and Password and now Avs can't get to the damn money. God how I hate these banks. And Stan Chart is the worst of the lot. Perhaps I should go back to the old system of putting money under my pillow. Hope to catch y'all soon sometime. RFA.

1 comment:

satyajit said...

i've had very bad experiences with Stan Chart, including the Boombay marathon, of which they were the sponsors...you just can't bank on them